Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Made It

It took 26 hours, 5 airports, 3 airplanes, and 2 trains but we finally made it to Texas. It would have been even longer if an airplane hadn't been held for us. I don't even want to get into the details. Our first stop was Chicago where there was snow on the ground. Bohdin was so excited to see the snow and finally thought it was winter. It sure felt like winter. The temperature was just below zero with wind chills about -30. I didn't know it was possible for it to feel so cold. Bohdin couldn't enjoy any of the snow because of the very frigid temps. Bohdin also enjoyed the train ride and commented "this is just what I wanted to do". At least one of us was happy.

Upon arrival at Nana's house Bohdin became overwhelmingly sad. It took him several minutes for the tears to end. After bath and dinner he played for hours with his cousins. He had a blast. They spent the night so Bohdin was glued to them all day long. It was weird to be around Bohdin but hardly acknowledged. He's sitting next to me now. Bohdin says "I ate and played and watched tv. We played spinning chairs, hide and seek, and Candyland." Bohdin has really great cousins.

Nyla is not being her typical outgoing self. The same baby that was showing strangers her belly last week does not want to see her uncle. It's odd. She also now has tooth #16. I can't remember if I reported that already.

On one flight I was sitting next to a lady (Buddy and I were separated on every flight) who was sort of helpful. She also made the situation worse at times but many times she was very helpful. At the end of the flight we sat on the runway for quite some time waiting for a gate to open. Nyla is not a patient sitter and had been struggling for much of the flight. She wanted to get out of her seat and explore. At one point the lady asked me if Bohdin was the same at that age. I'm not sure what she meant but Bohdin was full of energy and curious at that age also. I told her that Bohdin did have the attention span of a one year old at that age also. She also has young children. I guess her children must be perfectly calm passive little people. That's not the hand I was dealt and I'm glad except when I'm on an airplane.

2 comments:

P said...

sounds like the movie "Planes Trains and Automobiles" At least you have had a memorable trip so far

Anonymous said...

Glad you got there. -30 is nasty, though I have chilly memories of walking across campus one morning when the windchill was -70. I can't even describe that cold. I'm so glad I don't live in Chicago anymore.