Friday, September 26, 2008

All by himself

Nyla fell asleep in the car while we were running errands yesterday. The last thing I had to do was return a video to the library. Bodhin usually likes to get a new video when I return an old one but I couldn't go in the library because Nyla was sleeping. Bohdin has been with me to the library at least 50 times. He knows where the videos are located and he knows how to check out and return material. I asked him if he wanted to go inside the library by himself and get a new video. He was a little bit apprehensive but he agreed.

I parked right outside the library. There are glass doors so I could sort of see inside when they were closed and I could see in very well to the checkout desk when they were open. Bohdin went in, put his old video in the appropriate place and then went around the corner to the children's section. I had told him to pick quickly. He usually likes to linger but this time he didn't. He waited in line for his turn. I waved to him but he didn't wave back. When it was his turn he handed over my library card and his video. He pointed outside but I can only guess what that was about. He said the librarian didn't ask where I was.

He looked so little in the library. It was funny to see someone so small waiting patiently in line. They were nice enough to take him at the short desk. I'm proud of him. Sometimes he doesn't think he can do things he actually can. He'll give up before even trying. It's so neat to see him becoming more independent and grown up.

No comments: