On my mission to find Bohdin a friend I posted a want ad in two forums I belong to. I have one lead. We'll see how it works out. We also went to Annapolis yesterday to a free Rhyme Time class at a studio downtown. They offer performing arts and dance classes but those are not free. Bohdin didn't participate but he enjoyed watching. He said it was fun but that he doesn't want to go again. We may anyway. I had thought previously of enrolling him in one of the classes but it won't be this semester. He's not quite ready for a drop off class yet. I did meet another mom there with a 4 year old son. She told me about the Smithsonian Environmental Research Center which hold mommy and me classes for preschoolers. It's once a month with the next one being tomorrow. We're going to try and make it.
The program yesterday was during Nyla's usual nap time. I thought I would be able to put her down during or before the program but it didn't work out. I didn't even try. Nyla did fine during the program. She wandered around looking at all of the people and started playing with a little girl. She also had a good time with the mirrors lining the walls. She fell asleep in the car but woke up right after I put her on the bed. She refused to take another nap later so we went to the playground. It was still a little hot outside. Bohdin found a 5 year old boy to play with and they had a fabulous time. He knew more than Bohdin did and was happy to share his hilarious words with Bohdin. I don't know if Bohdin will start using potty humor or not now. The mom could not have looked more unfriendly. I just played with Nyla. When it was the little boy's time to go she was having a hard time getting him out of the playground. She kept asking him if he was ready and he said no. I saw the trouble she was having so I told Bohdin it was time to go and left to make it easier for her. I've been there before.
I was reading about some little kids with irrational fears the other day and was really proud of myself and Bohdin for having sidestepped such a common thing. I thought maybe I did something right. It turns out I didn't. I remember from psychology class an example of a child being scared they would go down the drain. So I asked Bohdin if he could go down the drain. He scoffed at me and said no like I was an idiot. Then a few days later he woke up in the middle of the night saying he didn't want to go down the drain. He fell back asleep. The next day in the car he started crying saying he didn't want to go down the drain. I hadn't brought up drains again since that initial time. I tried explaining to him that he was too big but that wasn't working since then we was fixated on really big drains. We came home and I showed him the difference between liquids and solids and said only liquids go down the drain. He couldn't possible go down the drain because he's not a liquid. It really eased his mind. So if drains ever come up in conversation with him remember that ONLY liquids go down drains. I'm sure there is a point when he'll discover that it's not true but I want it to be after his fear is resolved. He was putting leaves down the storm drain yesterday but luckily the association hasn't been made. I rushed him along as quick as I could. He's going to realize someday I lied to him. I need to think of a way out this. I'm the one who is going to go down the drain.
1 comment:
What's that saying, "pride goeth before a fall" . . .
Hope your ads for playmates for Bohdin give you better results than my ads for replacement roommates have.
Post a Comment