Friday, September 5, 2008

Don't touch

Before Bohdin was born I knew he was either going to hate being touched or want to be touched all of the time. In a way, he is both. When he is sad or sleeping he is comforted by touch. That's why he slept with us for so long. Now he's losing his need. That will increase as he grows up. On the other hand, he doesn't really like hugs. He'll tolerate Buddy, or Nyla, or I hugging him but he doesn't care for other people to touch him. In fact, he hates it. Tyken tried to give him a hug when we were in Colorado. From his expression you would think that he was going to get a hug from somebody who hadn't bathed in 3 weeks and was covered by bugs. He was horrified at the thought that Tyken might actually put his arms around him. He did successfully dodge the hug. Some people are put off that he doesn't like physical affection because they don't understand that it's not personal. He wouldn't give me a hug on Mother's Day because he said "But I'm not sad". He's okay with touching other people on occasion but they usually can't touch him back.

Nyla's sleep has been all over the place recently. In the past 10 days she has went to bed as late as midnight and as early as 7:20 (last night). In the morning she'll wake up between 6:30 and 10. If she has another really really late night (although past midnight is really unlikely) we'll be able to watch the Broncos season opener on Monday. The game starts at 10:15pm. We'll be lucky to watch the opening drive before having to go to sleep.

I've been focusing a lot of time on cleaning the past two days. I went through the boxes and bags of toys I had stashed away. They toys are mostly organized now and there are two boxes ready to leave the house. I hope it lasts at least a little while. The problem is that toys and books and puzzle pieces just get put in the nearest available space instead of the correct space.

Since a tired Nyla refused a nap yesterday I just let her play while i cleaned the kitchen and prepped dinner. Bohdin was playing nicely and quietly with his toys. Nyla was quiet although she didn't always do the right thing. She did manage to open some play dough and eat it. While I was working yesterday it seemed that two kids was finally becoming much more manageable.

Everything didn't go completely smoothly yesterday. Nyla was grumpy after Bohdin awoke her from her nap. We needed to get out of the house. I grabbed a piece of leftover chicken from the curried chicken and sweet potato I had made earlier. Nyla ate it but it was a little messy. Bohdin saw her face and said "Nyla has poop on her face". When I looked at her it did look like poop. She has had diarrhea the past several days and that was the same exact shade. Interestingly enough, now that she has eaten the curry her poop is back to normal.

I have a milestone to report. Nyla finally has enough hair that she can wake up with bed head. Blond hair sure is slow to come in.

When Bohdin was sick a few weeks ago I checked out the Magic School Bus from the library for him to watch. He is now very interested in it. It's a nice program. He was telling me how baby stars needed to be squeezed before they can shine. I thought he was wrong but Buddy said it was correct. Astronomy is so boring to me. We've also been reading some of the books so he's been talking about white blood cells as well. I'll have to check if they have more of those videos at another branch.

2 comments:

P said...

tell Bohdin you will give him a dollar for a hug, but tell him you will pay him AFTER the hug. Then when he hugs you don't pay him and he will be sad, so you can get another hug.

Cap'n Neurotic said...

Paul, that idea is genius!

Evil genius, to be sure, but I expect nothing less from you.