Tuesday, April 28, 2009

It could be worse

After the police report yesterday Buddy called to have a tow truck take my car to the mechanic. Nyla woke up early because Bohdin was a punk for the first time yesterday. Nyla was tired after waiting for the police and couldn't wait to get to sleep. I didn't make Bohdin lunch before she fell asleep. Nyla would not let me leave her side yesterday while she was sleeping. Bohdin had to find his own snack. He found the chocolate chips. He came into the bedroom with chocolate covering his face. I told him to bring me the chocolate chips. He ran away. The next time he came in I asked him to bring me the chocolate chips again. He ran away. At some point I became so mad that I didn't care if Nyla woke up. I got up quickly and went into the bedroom. There was a bag of chocolate chips and a small pile in the center. I quickly grabbed as many as I could while Bohdin was doing the same. I ended up leaving some because I wanted to get back to Nyla quickly and see if she would fall asleep. As I walked out of the room Bohdin said in a sing-song voice "You didn't get them all". He ended up not eating the ones I left behind. Interestingly enough the same thing happened as I was typing this. Nyla is asleep and Bohdin became hungry. This time he came in and asked if he could have a hamburger. I was able to get up and reheat the hamburger from yesterday.

So after Nyla woke up we went outside to wait for the tow truck that was supposed to be there any minute. After two hours I was hungry and had to come in for a snack. In the meantime the tow truck company had been called again and a new time estimate was given. After I ate a quick snack (Nyla and Bohdin didn't want any) we went outside again. At this point we had been outside waiting for hours. One and half hours in the morning and another two in the afternoon. Bohdin was hot, grumpy, tired, and hungry. Soon he started crying. That made Nyla cry. She pushed him away from me and clung onto me. I turned on the garden hose they had outside and that bought us a few more minutes of peaceful waiting. At 4 we came in. Our initial pickup time was no later than 1:30. Bohdin was still an emotional mess when we came inside. I found Tom and Jerry for him on YouTube while Nyla and I took a bath. A new tow company was called out. I called them and asked to be notified when they were close. No problem they said. The tow truck would be there within 45 minutes. I gave Bohdin the potato and vegetables I made earlier and he devoured them. He then ate another potato and a hamburger. Fifteen minutes past the deadline I called the tow company again. "He's close. I told him to call you. It will be 10-15 more minutes." Twenty minutes pass and no tow truck. I call again. No answer. I call one more time. It clicks. I feel like he is not taking my calls so I go to the neighbor and ask to use their phone. The same guy picks up. He tells me he is on the line right now with the driver and then hangs up on me. So we have to call and request a third tow company. They are scheduled to arrive between 6 and 7 am. Now I know why there are so many abandoned vehicles on the side of the road around here. One could wait days for a tow truck to show up. The tow truck did show up this morning so my car is now at the mechanic.

Buddy was really mad after the second tow company didn't show up as promised. He dropped off some books at the library and ran into someone who had driven up from Annapolis to get a car part. The car died and she had no way to get back to the homeless shelter where she was living. Buddy called me and said he would be home later since he was dropping somebody off in Annapolis. Instead of driving her though he just sat with her and listened while the social workers drove up to give her a hand. Buddy gave her all the cash he had in his wallet. I hope it was enough. Buddy came home not mad anymore since he saw things could be much worse.

Bohdin has been waking up early ever since the time change. Almost every morning he is up before 7 and it is usually well before 7, like just after 6. It doesn't matter what time he goes to sleep he still wakes up early. Last night he went to sleep at 6 and hopefully caught up on some much needed sleep.

In the late afternoon I was able to call one of the midwife groups to interview them. The receptionist told me they do tours every Monday at 7pm. That time doesn't really work for me though. I asked if there was any way I could just speak to one on the phone. You would think I was asking for something really difficult and unreasonable. I never was able to talk to anybody on the phone but the receptionist did mention that my insurance require a referral. Well that's pretty dumb but I called for an appointment with my primary care manager. I was told an appointment was available today at 11:30. That might have been fine if I had a vehicle. The next available appointment is May 15th. It will be a lot of work to go see a midwife before June.

I forgot to mention something yesterday. The paperwork for Buddy's extension is still sitting on somebody's desk. It's still waiting for approval. As of right now his military commitment will be over in November. We'll be exploring our options in the coming weeks. Buddy is interested in looking at a Civil Affairs job in the military. He also has the job at United waiting for him in Denver. We may also stay here like we intended last month. Also we are still waiting to hear back on that rental house. Maybe it's a good thing that the paperwork was never signed and we couldn't find a place to rent. It let's us think about what would be best now that our family situation is changing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am afraid my patience would have reached its limit after all that!