Thursday, April 30, 2009

Red Tape

I have spent too much time trying to figure out the healthcare system. After being told earlier in the week that an appt wasn't available until mid May, I called again yesterday morning. This time I was told I didn't need an appt at all. I could just walk in and get a blood test done. So I did. The paper they gave me told me that in the event of a positive result I would need to contact either Andrews Air Force Base on the southeast side of DC or the Bethesda Naval Medical Center on the northwest side of DC. We are far far far north east. I don't particularly want to drive across DC especially if I am in labor. Buddy (and me too I guess) don't want a birth experience like we had with Bohdin. He wants it to be like Nyla where we had more respect and authority. It's too tiring to explain the runaround I've been given. My primary care provider says I can get a referrel for civilian care but I need to make an appt. I call the appt line but they can't make me an appt because I have a referrel for OB care already at a military hospital. Tricare (the insurance) says no problem, it can't be done, or here is the procedure depending on whom I speak with. I've talked to the benefits advisor who said I have to switch insurance to be able to use civilian care. On the way out of the hospital at Ft. Meade I asked a lady with a newborn where she delivered. It was in Annapolis at a civilian hospital. We have the same insurance and she had zero problems getting care. I then asked another lady with a newborn. She went to Bethesda and said it took about 45 minutes to get there without traffic. Her husband suggested I don't go into labor during rush hour. No kidding. Next I called the midwife's office again. I talked to their insurance person and I finally talked to somebody who knew something. She clearly outlined my options which nobody in the system was able to do. Now I just have to figure out which is best.

On our last hot day before the cold front came through we walked to the store for popsicles. Bohdin licked the juice off Nyla's hands.
 
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cheaper and much more handy than using a wet wipe!
Don't you just love the training they give people who are put in a customer service position. What drives me batty is the little twits think they know it all!