Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Bean extraction

Yesterday at lunch Bohdin asked me what four plus four equals. After I told him, I took out some dry beans that he could count with. Nyla was on the opposite side of the table and wanted some of her own. I pushed some over to her side while she leaned across the table for more. Somehow, either accidentally or on purpose, a bean made it up her nose. She took a nap after lunch and I noticed at one point she had some difficulty breathing as if she had something in her nose. The difficulty only lasted about a minute. When she woke up she sneezed several times and her nose was becoming runny. I thought she was starting to get sick. Then I noticed that some of the mucus was blue. I shined a light up her nose and saw what I thought was a crayon. I called the doctor because I thought if I could get in, his tools would be gentler and there would be more people to hold her down. They couldn't see me until the following afternoon and I didn't want to pay several hundred dollars to go to the ER. It took a lot of tears and strength but I managed to get the bean out. Nyla was never in pain or distress from having the bean up her nose. I don't think she ever understood why I was holding her down and putting a sharp pair of tweezers in her nose. I hope we never have to go through that again.

Last night we were watching How It's Made. They were making a washing machine and the inside drum was a hexagon. I pointed out the shape to him and told him a hexagon has 6 sides. I then mentioned triangles and octagons since he was already familiar with that. After a few seconds of silence we had this conversation:
Bohdin (in a serious voice): I've been having some struggles.
me: Do you want to talk about it?
Bohdin: Struggles are when you are having a hard time doing something.
His definition continued. I thought we were about to have some great mother/son chat. Instead I heard the definition of struggles.

No comments: