Friday, January 16, 2009

New food

On our recent trips to the commissary Bohdin pushes me to buy a vegetable we haven't tried. Our latest trip resulted in brussel sprouts and beets. The kids have actually enjoyed beets in the past. I don't serve them often because beet juice is really staining and it makes their poop look bloody which freaks me out a little despite being prepared for the sight. I'm curious to know if Bohdin will like the brussel sprouts. Maybe I'll cook them today.

Bohdin has also been begging for blackberries. Neither Buddy or I love have strong feelings about them so they are usually passed over in the store. There was a good price on blackberries at Costco yesterday so we bought a large tub. Bohdin wanted to put it under the basket. Later he decided to move it. As he picked up the container the top came flying open and most of the blackberries spilled onto the floor. We picked them up along with another lady. I wasn't mad at Bohdin. I wished he hadn't held the container sideways because more kept pouring out. He couldn't figure out how to fix it when I was telling him to stop. He put a sea of blackberries between us so all I could do is watch as more rolled across the floor. I would have liked to replace that container of spilled blackberries with a new container. If Bohdin hadn't been there I would have but I have to be a good example. This morning he didn't want to try the blackberries because they had fallen on the floor. I pointed out that he eats candy that falls on the floor but apparently that's different.

3 comments:

anna said...

Zoey, Greg and I really like brussel sprouts, but Nathan and Alli don't really care for them.

This recipe is pretty close to one of the ways I fix them. Even Nathan and Allie will eat them this way.

P said...

I looked at your recipe anne and didn't see bacon listed as one of the ingredients so I am going to pass.

Helen said...

That looks like an interesting website Anna. I didn't see your comment until I had already made Fettuccine with Brussels Sprouts and Pine Nuts. Buddy didn't want to even try it but eventually did. I thought it was really tasty. Bohdin just wanted to cook with it. He didn't really want to eat it.

Paul, the recipe does say you can add pancetta which is an Italian bacon.