Thursday, January 8, 2009

Inventor

In the morning I usually ask Bohdin how he slept the previous night. This morning I asked Nyla.

me: Did you sleep well?
Nyla: Shakes her head no
me: Do you know why you didn't sleep well?
Nyla: Signs sleep and points to Bohdin
me: You couldn't sleep because Bohdin was asleep?
Nyla: Shakes her head yes
me: Do you want to go to sleep before Bohdin tonight?
Nyla: Shakes her head yes

Nyla did have a hard time going to sleep last night. Tonight I'll put her to sleep first. I don't know if she understood the conversation we were having but if she did then I should honor her request. When I'm by myself, I put the more tired child to sleep first. If they are both really tired I do the easier child first which is usually Bohdin. He can have a difficult time going to sleep if Nyla is in the bed because she squirms and plays and crawls over him. If she gets out of bed he can fall asleep in a minute. The trick is getting her out of bed.

Nyla can get restless in her sleep if her diaper is wet. I change her and she falls asleep in the process. It's not the only reason for restless sleep but it is one. A wet diaper usually doesn't bother her during the day. Or it doesn't bother her enough to interrupt her busy day.

 

We went to a playgroup yesterday that turned out well. It was 40 minutes away but there were several boys there Bohdin's age. He played more with the 3 year old though. I was proud of Bohdin at one point. A boy was hitting a punching bag really loudly with a sword. Bohdin asked for a turn. The other boy didn't respond but I was glad that Bohdin talked to him. He also talked to the 3 year old quite a bit. He was discouraged that nobody was doing what he was telling them to do. The playgroups are usually held once a month unless somebody wants to host more often. We'll try to go to another one. When I was driving to playgroup yesterday I realized that I would like Maryland a lot better if we were making at least twice as much money. That would put us in a single family home in a decent area.

Bohdin likes to watch the show How Things Are Made. As a result he has come up with many machine inventions of his own. A baking machine would help me bake when nobody else wants to. A bathtub machine will start your bath for you at just the right temperature and then pulls the drain for you when you are done. I can't remember all of them but they are interesting. The other day Bohdin invented a pillow jumper thing. I just asked him to remind me of the name and he said "I call it the jumper now. It is an easy word for you to say and remember." Perhaps I should ask him to invent a memory machine for me. My brain has been running at half speed recently.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

P said...

tell Nyla I slept pretty lousy as well last night

Cap'n Neurotic said...

Don't forget the "kitchen helper machine" that would help you in the kitchen when Bohdin's not available.

And I'm sure he'd build a "Beat Uncle Paul at dancing machine," except he apparently doesn't need it. Although that could have just been all trash talk, since he never did demonstrate his dancing skills for me while I was there.