Saturday, July 12, 2008

Book Report

We haven't checked out new books from the library in three weeks. Bohdin tends to get tired of the books after about one week so I haven't read most of these books in a while.

Big time Olie / by William Joyce - Bohdin really loved this book which was a followup to Rolie Polie Olie. We read the original last year but he seems better suited to it now. This book did have a little singing. He also liked the Rolie Polie video we checked out during the same time.

Bunny, my Honey / Anita Jeram - a book about a little rabbit getting lost. It's pretty forgettable.

I call it sky / Will C. Howell - Bohdin isn't ready for this book. He chose it but wasn't interested in reading it.

Loopy / Aurora Jesset - Terrible book. Just very poorly written. It sounds like a poor writer was trying to remember what it was like to be a kid and failed miserably.

Moo Cow Kaboom / Thacher Hurd - Good book but it was a bit over Bohdin's head. We'll check it back out in a few years.

The Night Eater / Ana Juan - Fine story about a creature that eats the night away. After getting teased about his weight he stops eating the night leaving the world in 24 hour darkness. A sliver of night comes into his mouth and he's off eating the night again.

Peekaboo morning / Rachel Isadora - This book was better suited for younger readers. Bohdin still enjoyed it.

Trains : steaming! pulling! huffing! / by Patricia Hubbell - This book was a repeat for us but Bohdin still loves it. The whole series is enjoyable but not as much when I have to read it ten times a day.

Boom Chicka Rock / John Archambault - Nice idea but poor execution. Another awful book

The bunnies are not in their beds / by Marisabina Russo - Bohdin really enjoyed this book. I liked the illustrations. The bunnies keep getting up and playing different things and each time they are dressed in costume. Those cute outfits always made me smile.

Five for a little one / Chris Raschka - This felt like a series of poems about the five senses. Bohdin really enjoyed this one a lot also.

Seven stories / by Ed Briant - Not appropriate for Bohdin. It pulls elements from seven classic fairy tales. Bohdin wasn't familiar enough with those stories to "get" the book.


I took Bohdin and Nyla to the playground last night after dinner. There was a little boy there who was four weeks younger than Bohdin. Bohdin is not very good at approaching kids (even worse with adults). He wants to play with them but he doesn't know how. This little boy made it easy for Bohdin since he sort of latched on to Bohdin and sort of copied what he was doing. They had a great time running around and playing together. I had to talk to the dad though to get him off of his son's back so they could just play together. His dad was telling him he was running too slow or he should do this or do that. The first thing they did was play store. At first the little boy told Bohdin he wanted cereal but then went around and got it himself and gave it to his dad. I asked Bohdin for ice cream and Bohdin wanted to know what flavor. The little boy handed ice cream to his dad so his dad seeing what Bohdin said wanted to know what flavor it was. The little boy just said ice cream again. The dad had already told me that his son was a little slow. It just doesn't seem like a big deal to me that Bohdin asked what flavor. It doesn't make him a genius. It just means that we eat a lot of different flavors of ice cream and that we've played store several times before. I hope I never pull that kind of stuff with Bohdin or Nyla.

1 comment:

P said...

wow some people just don't deserve to have kids. I was watching America's Next Food Network Star, and on one challenge, they where going to be on the Racheal Ray showing cooking. The catch was, they where paired up with a kid and had to generate a menu with them. Watching some of the people talk to these kids made me cringe.

I know I am not the best uncle in the world, but I think being around Bohdin made me a little more sensitive to a kids needs.