Two weeks
Five months
Nine months
Birth story:
As Bohdin was going down for his nap around 2, I told him to tell the baby to come out. He leaned over my belly and said "Come out baby" then looked at me and said the baby was still in my belly. He woke up from his nap a little early, just before 4. I had a few contractions while laying down next to hum but that wasn't unusual. We went downstairs and I realized I had to pee. Bohdin and I went to the bathroom together. As I was waiting for him to finish up I had a strong contraction. I thought it might be time. We went for a walk and then I got into the tub for a while. Buddy got everything ready to go. We arrived at the hospital just after 7. I was monitored for a few minutes and then checked. I was 4 cm dilated. I finished watching So You Think You Can Dance and then walked around a bit. I needed to be monitored again because the baby's heartrate had been high earlier. I stood during the monitoring and my contractions became much stronger. I decided to get into the tub. It was between 9 and 10 pm at this point. I labored in the tub a while and was disappointed that the contractions were still so intense. The contractions were every 2-3 minutes apart. Eventually between contractions Nyla would move like crazy. I was not having any break and it was becoming extremely tiring. I asked for drugs. The midwife asked if I wanted to be checked and I agreed. I was 8 cm. The midwife said Nyla was so low that if she broke my water we could just have the baby. I didn't think I could take it anymore. I just wanted some rest. I had to get out of the tub to get an iv put in. They managed to put it in. While I was waiting for the drugs I started pushing. I needed a break so bad I was going to get one somehow. It felt good to push. Nyla moved so much between each contraction. I think she was trying to push her way out any way she could. I kept waiting and waiting for the drugs. They set up for the birth. My water broke with a pop. After what everybody claims was 10 minutes of pushing (I think it was hours) Nyla was born. I never had a chance to receive my drugs. It was such a relief to have her out. I was exhausted. They put her on my belly but I don't remember much of anything after that. I was enjoying my rest.
I wrote that just over a year ago. Nyla's birth was so much nicer than Bohdin's. It was also empowering. Having a baby without drugs is one of the coolest things I'll ever do. In hindsight if I hadn't gotten into the tub earlier I would have had an easier time. Nyla didn't like it when I got in the water. Whenever I went to the pool she would kick like crazy for hours afterwards. I stopped going to the pool because it wasn't worth the pain afterwards. I didn't realize the tub would have the same effect on her. I like to think she's been strong willed from before birth.
She's changed a lot this past year. She's a very welcome addition to the family. Happy Birthday Nyla.

4 comments:
I remember when you left for the hospital and Bohdin stayed behind with Jen and myself. He did good and when it was bedtime we got him ready and he laid down between Jen and myself. I told him train stories for 20 minutes or so and I thought Bohdin was asleep because the lights where out. So I close my eyes to go to sleep and started drifting off.
I open my eyes a few minutes later and Bohdins face is inches from mine and he is sitting there looking at me and smiling. I asked what he is doing and he said "nothing". I was strange and startling to see him.
Hearing that story reminds me how much Bohdin has changed in the past year also.
A very Happy Birthday to you, Nyla!!
Love you,
Nana and Papa
Happy birthday Nyla!
Post a Comment