Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Baby Whisperer

I had to run some errand yesterday despite the "oppressive heat" as the weatherman called it. To Texans it would just be a normal day to have a heat index over 100. It took quite some time and Bohdin was hungry on the way back home after eating everything out of my purse. Nyla should have been falling asleep but was hitting herself in the head with a toy. When we were still about 4 miles out I told Bohdin that if Nyla fell asleep I would stop and get him a hamburger but if Nyla stayed awake I would make him something at home. About 1/4 from the house I glance back and Nyla is still playing. Bohdin asks if we are getting a hamburger and I say no since Nyla is still awake. Bohdin leans over as best as he can and starts whispering something to Nyla. I can't make out what it is. I do hear the word sleep. Then he announces she has fallen asleep. We have traveled about 200 yards. I look back and she is asleep. Now I have to turn around and get a stupid hamburger. Twenty minutes later we arrive home. I didn't think to ask him at the time what he said but I asked him later in the evening and he said "quiet stuff".

We went to the pool yesterday evening. It was a perfect time since the kiddie pool was shaded at that time of day. There were a few kids that came and went while we were there but it wasn't crowded at all. Bohdin has already been there twice with Buddy but it was my first time. The last time I went swimming with Bohdin he was holding on to me like his life depended on it. This was at a zero entry pool about a year ago. Our local pool is not zero entry. It's a odd shaped pool that is about 8 inches on the sides and maybe 18 inches in the middle. After I entered the pool with Nyla, Bohdin went to the opposite side. It was incredible how comfortable he felt in the water. Nyla liked the pool also. She cruised around the sides while I was holding her. She splashed herself but kept getting her face wet which she didn't like. I held her half out of the water and she chased Bohdin and another boy around the pool. That was pretty tiring for me but everyone else loved it.

When we were at Target yesterday Bohdin was playing peekaboo with Nyla and it was making her shriek with laughter. We had a lot of smiling glances. I don't hear babies laughing at the store very often.

This is the second day in a row I am covered in poop. I wish Nyla would stop fighting me when I change her diaper. She seems especially feisty after pooping. Bohdin helps me sometimes by staying near her and singing to her. That occupies her attention long enough to stay still and get cleaned and changed. If he would just stop knocking her down deliberately or trying to push her with the door I would say he is a great brother.

1 comment:

P said...

do you think you can get Bohdin to talk to my boss about a raise. I think I can arrange some quiet stuff time.