Friday, June 27, 2008

First Steps

I forgot to mention yesterday that the past 2 days Nyla hasn't been napping much. While Bohdin sleeps she has been practicing walking. Buddy and I had a friendly bet about when Nyla would start walking. After taking a few steps he thinks he has won since she is now walking. I have a different definition of walking. I consider Nyla to be a walker when her preferred method of locomotion is walking as opposed to crawling. Can you help us settle the debate?



I think of things to write about throughout the day but often forget by the time I get to the computer. They're in my mind now so here are some things I've forgotten to write over the past few weeks.

Bohdin will only sing one song and it is the alphabet song. For a little while we were able to sing it together in the car. (We sing to fussy Nyla.) Now he wants to do it by himself because we don't do it right. One day I started singing a different song which prompted him to sing the alphabet song. We were singing over each other so I switched to the alphabet song with him. He stopped and said "Are you singing the same thing I am?" When I said yes he responded "That doesn't sound very good." I personally thought us singing 2 different songs was worse but to each his own I guess.

We were talking about seeds at breakfast one morning and the different types of seeds in fruit. I pulled a strawberry out of the refrigerator to show him strawberry seeds. He said "Strawberry seeds make strawberries MUCH sweeter."

I put a 2T long sleeve shirt on Bohdin. The sleeves were too short. He pulled it down a bit to cover his wrist and said "Is this right?". I explained that his arms were too long for the shirt because they had grown. He replied "When my arms get even longer it will be a short sleeve shirt".

Nyla woke up in the middle of the night and had a tough time going back to sleep. I was tired and after 15 minutes of us adjusting hoped she would figure something out really soon. My favorite of her failed positions was her flopping on top of me with her arms around my neck. It didn't last long though. I finally turned on the tv for some light so I could see her better. I perked up when I saw an interesting program on. Nyla sat up, saw the tv on, then layed down and went to sleep. It seemed like she was just waiting for me to be completely awake. She slept like a rock the rest of the night. Buddy will be back tonight and he won't appreciate her waking him up in the middle of the night so I hope it doesn't happen again. Some people say that sleep suffers when babies are learning a new milestone. Perhaps this is linked to her taking steps. If it is then Buddy should get up with her since he is the one who thought it would happen this soon.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

okay. Nyla is a walker when she can get from point a to point b on 2 feet with INTENT. She may revert to crawling for months after she can walk, but that doesn't negate her as a walker.

Anonymous said...

You're Buddy's mom. Of course you're siding with him.

Anonymous said...

Facts are facts, no matter who's mom I am. Face facts.

Helen said...

She intentionally says "babababa" but I don't consider that talking.

Anonymous said...

you are over there saying ohohohohohoho, duduudududuu and dutdutudutwohhh, does that mean you can't talk?

Helen said...

That means I can't sing.

Cap'n Neurotic said...

I'm afraid I'm inclined to go with Budrow on this one . . . but I am open to bribes to switch my support at a moment's notice.

dru400dkz said...

Helen I will side with you on this.. The bet was walking, not taking steps. Taking steps leads into walking. Just my opinion.

Anonymous said...

Well, three steps is considered walking in basketball. Personally, I think it's just taking three steps.

Maybe you guys should agree on a set distance or number of steps. Like when she takes 10 steps, or can walk 8 feet from mom to dad, then she is walking.