Monday, June 23, 2008

Summer of Fun

It had been a while since Bohdin tried his bike out so I took it outside for him the other night. He did pretty well with it. I didn't know that a tricycle could tip over but he managed it a few times, skinning his elbow once. He did get a bit frustrated but I think he will try it again. I can see how much he has progressed since last time. I had thought about getting him a balance bike before but he just wasn't ready. I think at 4 he certainly would be. He also took a spin on his plasma car but I think it needs an adjustment because it wasn't moving right.

 
 

I usually write this during Nyla's morning nap. That's Bohdin's tv time. Yesterday Bohdin was stuck to me like glue. He just wanted me to play with him or read to him all day. So during Nyla's nap we just read. During her afternoon nap we played various things. Nyla woke up and by the time I got to her she had already climbed off the bed (we taught her how weeks ago). She looked like a toddler. She's going to be one year old in a few weeks and I can see that she's getting bigger. Bohdin continued his clinginess at the pool and the playground. I'm going to have to call his friend to come relieve me.

When we went to Safeway yesterday Bohdin wanted to ride in the big car basket. He asked if Nyla could ride with him so we tried it out. She loved it. I like the looks I get a lot better when she's laughing hysterically than when she's crying.

One of Nyla's favorite activities is going through my purse. She empties it all out including my wallet. I've trimmed the number of cards I have in there to only the most important. The other day she was emptying my purse like usual. I was reading on the bed with Bohdin while Nyla was on the floor with my purse. She seemed unusually quiet so I checked on her. She had a bit of black around her mouth. I forgot that I had a bag of jelly beans in there. She opened them up and scattered them about. I picked them up as quickly as possible. It turns out that I have to fish marbles, rocks, and wood chips out of her mouth but a licorice jelly bean she will spit out by herself. Hopefully that will teach her not to put everything in her mouth.

I spoke with my dad on the phone last week and he asked me what I liked about this area. After a week of thinking I finally thought of something. I'm in great proximity to a lot of things. It is 2 hours to the mountains in WV, 2 hours to the beach in Delaware. Two hours to Philly, one hour or less to DC and Baltimore. We haven't taken advantage of this great benefit yet so Buddy has declared this the summer of fun. We'll take one to two trips a month to see the area while we are still here. With our 10th anniversary coming up, I think our first pick will be Philly.

There are lots of things I liked about Colorado including the weather. My favorite thing about the Denver area was the local amenities. Someone I know is moving to a north of Denver area. Her community has a sand volleyball court, tennis courts, 2 pools, numerous playgrounds, etc. Those features are not uncommon. What I like is the community has a mix of condos and mansions and in between. What I like about these areas is that you don't have to make a ton of money to live nicely. Policmen, teachers, checkout people deserve to have sand volleyball courts and nice playgrounds also. In Broomfield we had a great library, a small local water park, a great rec center, millions of playgrounds, open spaces, and trails. This was accessible to all of the residents from my Safeway checkout girl who lived across the street in a trailer to the million dollar homes 3 miles away. The best part was the small town feel and the close proximity to everything. That's sort of the opposite of what we have now. We live in a nice community but it's pricey. Stores are far away. The weather doesn't allow us to be outside as much as I would like. It's not bad here and I'm not complaining. We will take advantage of what the area has to offer but I don't think I will be sad to leave.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Cap'n Neurotic said...

I have to say, Nyla is not alone; I also would prefer to swallow fish marbles, rocks, and wood chips rather than licorice jelly beans. Blech.


Hope y'all enjoy your Summer of Fun; mine is going to be The Summer of Building Up Vacation Time Again Since I've Used It All Up.

P said...

I love licorice jelly beans. I clean house during easter. People can't get rid of the black jelly beans fast enough, maybe someday I'll charge an additional jelly bean to get the black one off their hands.

Anonymous said...

Enjoy Philly! We got engaged there ten years ago. Paul didn't live in a nice part of the city so I mostly got to see the seedy sections when I visited, LOL.